Saturday Preaching

Saturday Preaching
Hammock Bridge

Friday, March 25, 2011

Elizabeth

 I have a new student.  She has been studying the Bible for several months in nearby Ciudad Quesada, but recently moved to our area.  Her former study conductor came two weeks ago to help me find her and introduce us.  However, it turned out to be more than we had bargained for!  I don't think I've ever been to a more isolated house in our territory.  We entered a huge cattle farm, passed all the homes and buildings and she said, "it's not far, keep going", so we kept going.  We went down a totally desolate and horrible road for about 20 minutes, and she said, "keep going" by way of text message.  We came to the end of the huge cattle farm, and had to open a gate that was surrounded by more cattle on the next farm.  She said "keep going", i'm not far.  So maybe 15 minutes later with slow sledding, we finally arrived to her extremely humble home.  Her "marido" which is the politically correct term in Costa Rica for "live-in boyfriend" works at a dairy that is literally "where the sidewalk ends", I felt like the earth's crust was at its furthest limit and we were going to fall off into nothingness!  It took us an hour on a horrible road with absolutely NO OTHER houses to find her!  Elizabeth is very desirous of continuing her study and had already gone to a meeting in her previous city.  But I was wondering how to take care of this very isolated precious sheep!  I happened to notice that she lived right next to a river, and wondered if there was a bridge to cross over and avoid the hour-long trek.  She informed us that NO there is no bridge, but I started to look closely at the other side of the river, and realized that the dairy farm and houses were actually only about 5 miles or so from my house as the crow flies!  We had weaved around so much that I had no idea where we were, but really we were not far at all!  So after some negotiating, we came to an arrangement.  Elizabeth will cross the river in a tiny paddle boat to the other side, walk out to the main highway with her little 2 year old, and I will pick her up, take her to my house for the study, and then bring her back to the farm entrance near the highway!  I was so relieved that Elizabeth was willing to also put forth her own effort to be able to continue her Bible study.  She says that it really scares her to cross the river, but so far she has done it one time!  The following are some pictures of her, the river, and the dairy farm near where she lives.  I'll keep you posted on her progress.


Elizabeth and Isis


If you zoom in you can see the dairy farm and wooden shack where she lives on the other side of the river, there's a little boat too
  


piglet wants to see who came to visit


a pen of newborn calves




a peacock perched as I wait for Elizabeth to arrive


what a tail!


No comments:

Post a Comment